Monday, April 29, 2013

The Color Script

I recently watched pieces of Dreamworks' Kung Fu Panda 2 (a personal favorite) with my niece and nephew and, as usual, I quite enjoyed it. One of the things I enjoy about KFP2 is its art direction and color palette. Note the dominant red in the following image:
I enjoy the marriage of warm reds with cool blues and greens, throughout this film. If you've never noticed a film's color tones, pay attention to an animated feature's palette, the next time you watch one. Some are less subtle than others, but they all create a tone for the picture as a whole. Good examples of films might be Kung Fu Panda 2 or Finding Nemo. In animation, someone who creates a film's color tone creates what's called a "color script." Below is a color script from Pixar's The Incredibles, written and directed by Brad Bird. If you've never created a color script and are still in the early stages of working up a new animated project, I might recommend giving the color script a go. It's a visual guide for maintaining a project's tone and it can help keep you on track with your vision. I'd like to take a look at Pixar's color script book The Art of Pixar: 25th Anniversary; and if you're interested in color scripting, you might should too.


No comments:

Post a Comment